Sounds like my suspension is complete and on its way back to the US. Hopefully I’ll get it mid January.
Archive for the ‘Build’ Category
Last Thursday I did manage to accomplish a few things thanks to my buddy Andy lending a hand for a *long* day in the garage:
- install new AKG subframe bushings
- install new AKG rear trailing arm bushings
- remove VSR center pipe w/ cats and Borla muffler (it will go onto the street car)
- install rear sway bar reinforcements (bolt through), new sway bar and Powerflex bushings
- remove ST adjustable sway and save for the street car
We ended up using the torch a bit and Mick’s trick setup to press things out. And we did this all under the car. It would have been nice to remove the subframe and paint it. Since it’ll probably come out again for camber/caster tabs that is also now on The List.
Thanks again, Andy. Next time I promise we’ll stop working long enough to eat something.
At last I got near the car last week and took all the fasteners out for removing the dash. That prepped me for today.
After loosening the dash and lifting things up I gave up on the idea of removing the a/c components in the single HVAC unit. I think the long-term goal will be to replace the entire HVAC with some AN fittings and a small oil cooler as a “heater core” to run a defroster. More for The List.
Taking a step back and realizing I need to start checking things off the list I was determined to start crossing things off. Unfortunately just about every task generates 3-4 more bits for The List which roughly looks like:
- remove dash in order to:
- get access to more sound deadening [DONE]
- remove a/c bits in the cabin [DONE]
- remove sunroof, headliner, panel cards
- remove radio antennae [DONE]
- install permanent GPS and 2-way radio antennae
- remove warning panel [DONE]
- remove sunroof wiring [DONE]
- remove sunroof panel and motor [DONE]
- remove sunroof cartridge / delaminate remaining roof panel
- deal with door cards (replace w/ aluminum?)
- contemplate scraping the underside of the car [DONE]
- remove fender liners
- add a SPAL fan to replace the two fans I removed [DONE]
- install relay [DONE]
- add toggle switch into cabin for direct on/off of fan
- add warning light for water temperature from stock sensor
- add auto-relay when warning light goes to activate fan
- remove tweeters, speaker wire, misc hardware
- wrap wiring harness w/ new tape
- wrap horn lines wiring [DONE]
- wrap headlight wiring [DONE]
- wrap fog lights wiring
- repair/wrap front side markers
- repair/wrap rear side markers
- wrap under dash cabling
- remove cruise control stalk / wiring [DONE]
- remove cruise control brain
- replace front LCA bushings
- get a new diff?
- replace diff cover w/ M-cover
- install AKG diff bushing [DONE]
- repack front wheel bearings w/ Red Line wheel grease [DONE]
- replace spark plug bracket w/ Gustave setup [DONE]
- Install VSR racing pipes and muffler
- Fix windshield wiper motor
- Fix windshield washer pump
- Install catch can
- Install mesh protection for radiator and oil cooler
- Install brake ducting
- Contemplate stock brakes and selling my awesome (barely used) Massive BBK
Since The Red Car is trailered around to events and is truly intended to be a race car, the collective believes that solid mounts (or as close as possible) are the order of the day. I called the folks at AKG Motorsport having used some of their products on The White Car to discuss what would be best. The effort is becoming a “While you’re in there” kinda project. I figured why not replace everything now so I know what’s in there. Today a fairly heavy box arrived with:
- AKG 75D motor mounts
- AKG Group N replica transmission mounts
- AKG 75D differential mount
- AKG 75D rear subframe bushings
- AKG 75D rear trailing arm bushings
- AKG 75D front control arm (offset)
Luckily for me there was also a group buy setup on S14.net for the finned differential cover (which also arrived today). At least I can go press the bushing before installing it into the car. At some point the reinforcement points for the subframes need to be inspected …
Yes, I haven’t posted anything in nearly two years. Figured I’ll use this to track stuff for me as I work on my two project cars.
At long last I decided to buy a second E30 M3 (aka The Red One) and build it into a dedicated track car. Even more dedicated than my first E30 M3 (aka The White One). After taking the BMW Club Racing School at NHMS … I feel compelled to build for BMW Club Racing. Intending to built for the E30 M3-only M3T class, revised rules for the Stock classes are so compelling … and should have much larger fields … that I may arrive at a to-the-limit 2011 JS car. This isn’t dismissal of SCCA ITR or NASA. It appears the intersection of ITR/M3T is still a very fun car and it’ll take me a few seasons to drive anywhere near the potential provided by such a vehicle.
All projects have an ever growing list of todo items. So I figured I would keep track of things here. At the very least others can use links, photos, DIYs for reference.